Welcome to the Lee Group
We are a synthetic chemistry and catalysis group based at the Institute of Chemical Sciences, Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh.
- July '17: Ai-Lan presents on dual gold and photoredox catalysis at the EPSRC UK National Mass Spectrometry Facility 30th Anniversary Symposium, 10th July 2017, Swansea.
- June '17: Congratulations to Bryan, Ben and Luke who all graduated with MChem (Hons)! We welcome ICS summer project student Stuart Angiolini.
- May '17: Ai-Lan presents at the RSC 23rd Lakeland Symposium on Heterocyclic Chemistry, Grasmere 2017 and University of York. Organised MChem Day 2017.
- Feb '17: We welcome Leverhulme Trust funded PDRA Marcos Veguillas who joins us from Magnus' group.
- Jan '17: Happy New Year! Vincent and Dan's paper on "Dual Gold and Photoredox Catalysed C-H Activation of Arenes for Aryl-Aryl Cross Couplings" has been accepted for publication in Chem. Sci. Well done both! Vincent presents a talk on "Dual gold and photoredox catalysed cross couplings" at the Scottish Regional Meeting of the Organic Division of the Royal Society of Chemistry at University of Dundee. Vincent, Dan and Claire also presented posters at the same meeting.
- Dec '16: Ai-Lan gives a seminar at Queen Mary University of London and University of Southampton.
- Nov '16: Stacey and Dan's work on "Chirality Transfer in Gold(I)-Catalysed Hydroalkoxylation of 1,3-Disubstituted Allenes" has been published in Chem. Eur. J. as a "Hot Article". The work has also been highlighted on the ChemistryViews website. Well done! Ai-Lan gives a seminar at University of Durham.
- Oct '16: Congratulations to Dan who won the 1st Year Postgraduate Research Prize at the EPS Poster and Prizegiving event. Ai-Lan presents an invited lecture at the 2nd NSFC-RSC International Symposium on Emerging Frontiers in Organic Synthesis, Royal Society of Chemistry, Burlington House, London, 17-18th October 2016.
- Sept '16: Congratulations to Stacey who passed her PhD viva! Well done! We welcome MChem project student Bryan Nderitu. Ai-Lan gives an invited lecture at the 7th SCI "A Celebration of Organic Chemistry" at Syngenta, Jealott's Hill, 19-20th September. Our paper on Gold-Catalyzed Proto- and Deuterodeboronation has been highlighted in Organic Chemistry Portal.
- July '16: Vincent's paper on "Dual Gold Photoredox C(sp2)-C(sp2) Cross Couplings – Development and Mechanistic Studies" has been accepted for publication in Chem. Commun. Well done! Well done too to Claire who attended the opening of the Scottish Parliament to deliver an outreach demonstration with Dr Stephen Mansell and Dr Jin Xuan on 3D printing in chemical research.
- June '16: Congrats to Stacey who won the best overall poster prize at the Royal Society of Chemistry Early Career Symposium in Glasgow. We welcome summer student Gemma McMurdo, who is on an ICS Summer Research Scholarship. Claire presents at the Criticat CDT Advanced Workshop at Firbush. Congratulations to MChem project students Reda Ghezzal and Euan McLean who both graduate with their well deserved MChem Hons.
- April '16: Stacey presents a lecture at the 27th SCI Regional Postgraduate Symposium on Novel Organic Chemistry, University of St Andrews, 12th April 2016.
- Jan '16: Graeme presents a talk entitled "Chirality Transfer in Gold(I)-Catalysed Allylic Etherifications: A Route to Enantioenriched Allylic Ethers" at the Scottish Regional Meeting of the Organic Division of the Royal Society of Chemistry at University of Aberdeen. Stacey and Graeme also presented posters at the same meeting.
- Dec '15: Ai-Lan's News and Views article is online in Nature Chem. Our group's work has been highlighted in the EPSRC National Mass Spectrometry Facility's annual report 2014-2015. Thanks for their excellent service! Stacey has been selected to attend the XI J-NOST Conference for Research Scholars, NISER Bhubaneswar, India, sponsored by the Royal Society of Chemistry. She will be giving an oral presentation on her PhD research on gold and indium catalysed reactions.
- Nov '15: Our invited review on "Enantioselective Oxidative Boron Heck Reactions" has been accepted for publication in Org. Biomol. Chem. for the upcoming 2016 "New Talents" special issue. Ai-Lan presents an invited lecture at AstraZeneca, Macclesfield. Stacey presents a poster at the RSC Organic Division Poster Symposium 2015, Burlington House, London.
- Oct '15: Ai-Lan is the returning speaker at the GSK Emerging Academics Symposium, Stevenage, 20th October. Our work on "Gold-Catalyzed Proto- and Deutero-deboronation" is featured on the front cover of J. Org. Chem. and has been highlighted in the journal Synfacts. Stacey and Louise's work on "Indium vs. Gold Catalysis in Dehydrative Reactions with Allylic Alcohols" has been published in an invited Special Issue of Synlett (Young Investigators Workshop - Synlett Special Issue). Well done. Claire starts her PhD on the CRITICAT CDT programme. Welcome back!
- Sept '15: We welcome new PhD student Dan Sutherland, new MChem project students Reda Ghezzal and Euan McLean and BSc project student Conor Fletcher. Graeme presents his work on "Chirality Transfer in Gold(I)-Catalysed Direct Allylic Etherification of Unactivated Alcohols" at the Gregynog Synthesis Workshop.
- July '15: Stacey presents a poster at the 19th European Symposium on Organic Chemistry (ESOC), Lisbon, 12-16th July. Graeme and Dave present posters at 18th IUPAC International Symposium on Organometallic Chemistry Directed Towards Organic Synthesis (OMCOS 18), Barcelona, Spain.
- June '15: Graeme, Dave and Paul's paper on "Chirality Transfer in Gold(I)-Catalysed Direct Allylic Etherification of Unactivated Alcohols - Experimental and Computational Study" has been accepted in Chem. Eur. J.Well done! Our paper on "Gold-Catalyzed Proto- and Deutero-deboronation" has been accepted and chosen as a Featured Article in J. Org. Chem. Well done to Graeme, Stacey, Dave, Paul and project students Matt and Rachel! June graduations: congratulations to Dr Sarah Walker and Dr James O'Neill! Congratulations to Louise on her MChem!
- May '15: We welcome new postdoc Vincent Gauchot, who will be working on a Leverhulme funded project on gold catalysis, and summer students Kathryn and Ivanda.
- April '15: Congratulations to Sarah who passed her PhD viva! Well done. Ai-Lan present at University of St Andrews (EaStCHEM Colloquium).
- Feb '15: Well done to Sarah and ex-project students Claire, Nick and Paul - their paper on "Oxidative Heck Desymmetrisation of 2,2-Disubstituted Cyclopentene-1,3-diones" has been accepted in Chem. Commun.
News Archives click here