- Dec '16: Ai-Lan gives a seminar at Queen Mary University of London and University of Southampton.
- Nov '16: Stacey and Dan's work on "Chirality Transfer in Gold(I)-Catalysed Hydroalkoxylation of 1,3-Disubstituted Allenes" has been published in Chem. Eur. J. as a "Hot Article". The work has also been highlighted on the ChemistryViews website. Well done! Ai-Lan gives a seminar at University of Durham.
- Oct '16: Congratulations to Dan who won the 1st Year Postgraduate Research Prize at the EPS Poster and Prizegiving event. Ai-Lan presents an invited lecture at the 2nd NSFC-RSC International Symposium on Emerging Frontiers in Organic Synthesis, Royal Society of Chemistry, Burlington House, London, 17-18th October 2016.
- Sept '16: Congratulations to Stacey who passed her PhD viva! Well done! We welcome MChem project student Bryan Nderitu. Ai-Lan gives an invited lecture at the 7th SCI "A Celebration of Organic Chemistry" at Syngenta, Jealott's Hill, 19-20th September. Our paper on Gold-Catalyzed Proto- and Deuterodeboronation has been highlighted in Organic Chemistry Portal.
- July '16: Vincent's paper on "Dual Gold Photoredox C(sp2)-C(sp2) Cross Couplings – Development and Mechanistic Studies" has been accepted for publication in Chem. Commun. Well done! Well done too to Claire who attended the opening of the Scottish Parliament to deliver an outreach demonstration with Dr Stephen Mansell and Dr Jin Xuan on 3D printing in chemical research.
- June '16: Congrats to Stacey who won the best overall poster prize at the Royal Society of Chemistry Early Career Symposium in Glasgow. We welcome summer student Gemma McMurdo, who is on an ICS Summer Research Scholarship. Claire presents at the Criticat CDT Advanced Workshop at Firbush. Congratulations to MChem project students Reda Ghezzal and Euan McLean who both graduate with their well deserved MChem Hons.
- April '16: Stacey presents a lecture at the 27th SCI Regional Postgraduate Symposium on Novel Organic Chemistry, University of St Andrews, 12th April 2016.
- Jan '16: Graeme presents a talk entitled "Chirality Transfer in Gold(I)-Catalysed Allylic Etherifications: A Route to Enantioenriched Allylic Ethers" at the Scottish Regional Meeting of the Organic Division of the Royal Society of Chemistry at University of Aberdeen. Stacey and Graeme also presented posters at the same meeting.
- Dec '15: Ai-Lan's News and Views article is online in Nature Chem. Our group's work has been highlighted in the EPSRC National Mass Spectrometry Facility's annual report 2014-2015. Thanks for their excellent service! Stacey has been selected to attend the XI J-NOST Conference for Research Scholars, NISER Bhubaneswar, India, sponsored by the Royal Society of Chemistry. She will be giving an oral presentation on her PhD research on gold and indium catalysed reactions.
- Nov '15: Our invited review on "Enantioselective Oxidative Boron Heck Reactions" has been accepted for publication in Org. Biomol. Chem. for the upcoming 2016 "New Talents" special issue. Ai-Lan presents an invited lecture at AstraZeneca, Macclesfield. Stacey presents a poster at the RSC Organic Division Poster Symposium 2015, Burlington House, London.
- Oct '15: Ai-Lan is the returning speaker at the GSK Emerging Academics Symposium, Stevenage, 20th October. Our work on "Gold-Catalyzed Proto- and Deutero-deboronation" is featured on the front cover of J. Org. Chem. and has been highlighted in the journal Synfacts. Stacey and Louise's work on "Indium vs. Gold Catalysis in Dehydrative Reactions with Allylic Alcohols" has been published in an invited Special Issue of Synlett (Young Investigators Workshop - Synlett Special Issue). Well done. Claire starts her PhD on the CRITICAT CDT programme. Welcome back!
- Sept '15: We welcome new PhD student Dan Sutherland, new MChem project students Reda Ghezzal and Euan McLean and BSc project student Conor Fletcher. Graeme presents his work on "Chirality Transfer in Gold(I)-Catalysed Direct Allylic Etherification of Unactivated Alcohols" at the Gregynog Synthesis Workshop.
- July '15: Stacey presents a poster at the 19th European Symposium on Organic Chemistry (ESOC), Lisbon, 12-16th July. Graeme and Dave present posters at 18th IUPAC International Symposium on Organometallic Chemistry Directed Towards Organic Synthesis (OMCOS 18), Barcelona, Spain.
- June '15: Graeme, Dave and Paul's paper on "Chirality Transfer in Gold(I)-Catalysed Direct Allylic Etherification of Unactivated Alcohols - Experimental and Computational Study" has been accepted in Chem. Eur. J.Well done! Our paper on "Gold-Catalyzed Proto- and Deutero-deboronation" has been accepted and chosen as a Featured Article in J. Org. Chem. Well done to Graeme, Stacey, Dave, Paul and project students Matt and Rachel! June graduations: congratulations to Dr Sarah Walker and Dr James O'Neill! Congratulations to Louise on her MChem!
- May '15: We welcome new postdoc Vincent Gauchot, who will be working on a Leverhulme funded project on gold catalysis, and summer students Kathryn and Ivanda.
- April '15: Congratulations to Sarah who passed her PhD viva! Well done. Ai-Lan present at University of St Andrews (EaStCHEM Colloquium).
- Feb '15: Well done to Sarah and ex-project students Claire, Nick and Paul - their paper on "Oxidative Heck Desymmetrisation of 2,2-Disubstituted Cyclopentene-1,3-diones" has been accepted in Chem. Commun.
- Dec. '14: Awarded a Leverhulme Trust Research Grant to work on gold catalysis. Congratulations to Sarah who won a runner-up prize for her poster presentation at the RSC Organic Division Poster Symposium, Royal Society of Chemistry, Burlington House, 1st December 2014. Ai-Lan presents at University of East Anglia. Congratulation to James who passed his PhD viva!
- Oct. '14: Ai-Lan presents at University of Oxford. Congratulations to Stacey for winning a 1st Year Postgraduate Research Prize at the EPS Poster Competition.
- Sept. '14: Our paper on "Pd-Catalysed Direct C-H Funtionalisation of Benzoquinone" has been accepted for publication in Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Well done to Sarah, Jamie and Dave! Sarah presents a poster at the Joliot-Curie Conference. We welcome MChem project student Louise Schaefer.
- August '14: We welcome James Wright who is a visiting PhD student from University of Otago (Royal Society International Exchanges).
- June '14: Our paper on "Gold(I)-Catalysed Direct Thioetherifications using Allylic Alcohols - an Experimental and Computational Study" has been accepted for publication in Chem. Eur. J. Congratulations to all involved. We welcome Matthew Andrews who has been awarded an RSC Undergraduate Summer Research Bursary to work with Graeme. Congratulations to our previous MChem and Nuffield project students Claire Lamb, Rachel Curley and James Sanderson who all graduate with MChem 1st Class Hons this summer! Congratulations to Paul who is now officially Dr Paul Young! Sarah presents a poster at the 15th Tetrahedron Symposium in London (24-27th June).
- May '14: Congratulations to Claire who won one of the "best oral presentation" prizes on MChem Day. Applications for the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Critical Resource Catalysis are now open. Ai-Lan is part of the Teaching Committee, who will oversee and direct the taught training and experimental techniques during this comprehensive four-year doctoral training programme in catalysis.
- Mar '14: Congratulations to Paul who passed his PhD viva. Sarah presents at the 25th SCI Regional Postgraduate Symposium on Novel Organic Chemistry at Heriot-Watt University. Programme here, group photo of speakers here.
- Dec '13: Paul has been selected to present a talk on his PhD work at J-NOST 9 in Bhopal, India as part of an RSC-sponsored 8-member UK delegation. Ai-Lan is co-organising the 42nd Scottish Regional Meeting of the RSC Organic Division at Heriot-Watt University on 18th December. Programme here. Sarah and Graeme present posters at the meeting.
- Nov '13: Our paper on gold(I) and palladium(II) complexes of 1,3,4-trisubstituted-1,2,3-triazol-5-ylidene "click" carbenes (with J. Crowley) has been published online in Organometallics. Well done James (W) and Paul! We welcome MChem mini-project student Rachel Curley.
- Sept '13: We welcome new PhD student Stacey Webster and new MChem project student Claire Lamb and Craig McLay. Ai-Lan presents at the Gregynog Synthesis Workshop.
- July '13: Ai-Lan visits and presents at University of Otago, New Zealand on a Royal Society International Exchanges grant.
- June '13:Congratulations to our project student Sam Green who graduates with an MChem (Hons) and the William H. Perkin prize for Organic Chemistry. Sam will be joining Evotec as a scientist upon graduation. Pauline Glen also officially graduates with her PhD and will be joining Johnson Matthey as a research scientist. Well done to both!
- May '13: Paul and Sam's paper on "Deactivation of Gold(I) Catalysts in the Presence of Thiols and Amines – Characterisation and Catalysis" has been accepted for publication in Dalton Transactions. Well done! Furthermore, congratulations to Sam who won a best MChem project talk prize on MChem day. Ai-Lan features in the Heriot-Watt University news. We welcome summer student Nick Beattie.
- April '13:Sarah et al.'s work on “Ligand and Base-free Pd(II)-Catalyzed Controlled Switching between Oxidative Heck and Conjugate Addition Reactions” has been published online in Organic Letters. Well done to all involved! Sam presents her MChem research project at the SCI YCP Scottish Undergraduate Symposium at University of Strathclyde. We welcome Erasmus exchange student Lorena Herkert. Ai-Lan presents at University of Strathclyde.
- March '13: We welcome Dr Graeme Barker who starts as a postdoctoral research fellow. Congratulations to Pauline who passed her PhD viva. Well done! Our "Highlight" article has appeared in Angew. Chemie. Int. Ed., highlighting Prof. Lambert's carbonyl-olefin metathesis. Jamie and James' Pd work has been highlighted on the Organic Chemistry Portal site.
- Jan '13: Ai-Lan has been promoted to Reader. We welcome Erasmus exchange students Eloi Coutant from France, and Paul Nikodemiak from Germany.
- Dec '12: Paul presents a poster entitled "Development of Novel Gold(I)-Catalysed Reactions" at the RSC Organic Division Poster Symposium at the Royal Society Of Chemistry, Burlington House, London on 3rd December 2012, and the RSC 41st Scottish Regional Organic Division Meeting (Scottish Perkin Meeting) at University of St Andrews, 12th Dec 2012. Our collaborator, Dr James Crowley, visits from University of Otago on a Royal Society International Exchanges Grant.
- Oct '12: A grant from the EPSRC has been awarded to Dr Ai-Lan Lee (PI) and Prof. Stuart Macgregor (Co-I). The grant is for £571k for 3 years and is a joint experimental/computational study titled, “Gold-Catalysed Direct Allylic Etherification of Alcohols”.
- Oct '12: Paul and Nina's work on 'Gold(I)-Catalysed Direct Allylic Etherification of Unactivated Alcohols' has been accepted for publication in Chem. Commun. (Invited article: Emerging Investigators Special Issue 2013). Pauline and James' work on "Synthesis of a C1-Symmetric Box Macrocycle and Studies toward Active Template Synthesis of Mechanically Planar Chiral Rotaxanes" has been accepted for publication in Tetrahedron. Well done! Ai-Lan presents at University of Manchester.
- Sept '12: We welcome MChem project student Samantha Green and Erasmus student Julian Böhnke.
- July '12: Paul and Richard's work on "Gold(I)-Catalyzed Addition of Thiols and Thioacids to 3,3-Disubstituted Cyclopropenes" has been accepted for publication in the Journal of Organic Chemistry. In addition to the title study, X-ray characterisation of a novel digold with bridging thiolate complex, sheds light on a possible deactivation pathway when gold catalysts are used in the presence of thiols. Our review on '1,3,4-Trisubtituted-1,2,3-Triazol-5-ylidene 'Click' Carbene Ligands: Synthesis, Catalysis and Self-Assembly' has reached the top 5 most downloaded in the Aust. J. Chem.
- June '12: Ai-Lan presents at the RSC's ISACS 7 (International Symposium on Advancing the Chemical Sciences) - Challenges in Organic Chemistry and Chemical Biology 12-15th June. James' paper on "Gold(III)-oxo complexes as catalysts in intramolecular hydroamination" is accepted for publication in Catalysis Science and Technology. We welcome Nuffield undergraduate student Lisa Patrick. Congratulations to project students Richard Mudd and Steven Levey who both graduate with an MChem (Hons).
- May '12: Congratulations to Max who passed his PhD viva! Congratulations to Richard Mudd who won a prize for best MChem project talk on MChem Day.
- April '12: Jamie and James' paper on "Mild and Ligand Free Pd(II)-Catalyzed Conjugate Additions to Hindered γ-Substituted Cyclohexenones" is published online in Organic Letters. Well done! We have been awarded a Royal Society International Exchanges grant to work with Dr James Crowley, University of Otago. We welcome Erasmus student Nina Schopf.
- Mar '12: Our mechanistic paper entitled "Computational Studies on the Mechanism of the Gold(I)-Catalysed Rearrangement of Cyclopropenes" in collaboration with Prof. Stuart Macgregor has been accepted for publication in Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry. Richard presents results from his MChem project at the 3rd SCI YCP Scottish Undergraduate Symposium at University of Glasgow.
- Feb '12: Ai-Lan presents at University of Sussex.
- Jan '12:Our work on "Divergent outcomes of gold(I)-catalyzed indole additions to 3,3-disubstituted cyclopropenes" is published online in Organic Letters. Well done to everyone who contributed to the paper.
- Dec '11: Jamie presents his work on Pd-catalysed conjugate additions at the RSC's 40th Scottish Organic Regional Meeting in Glasgow.
- Nov '11: We welcome new PhD student Sarah Walker. Congratulations to James Sanderson (Nuffield summer student 2011) who has been awarded an AztraZeneca Research Bursary. Congratulations to Pauline and James who both won best talks for their respective departmental Final Year PhD Talks on 2nd Nov and 23rd Nov.
- Oct '11: Congratulations to Paul who won a School of EPS 1st Year Postgraduate Prize.
- Sept '11:We welcome MChem project students Richard Mudd and Steven Levey, and exchange student Marta Witkowska. Ai-Lan presents at the Gregynog Synthesis Workshop.
- August '11:Our review on '1,3,4-Trisubtituted-1,2,3-Triazol-5-ylidene 'Click' Carbene Ligands: Synthesis, Catalysis and Self-Assembly' is published in the Aust. J. Chem. special Research Fronts issue on N-Heterocyclic Carbenes.
- July '11: Ai-Lan presents at the 16th IUPAC OMCOS conference in Shanghai. Our paper on gold(I)-1,2,3-triazolylidenes is featured as one of the Gold 100 Article Collection by the RSC and World Gold Council.
- June '11: We welcome James Sanderson, who joins us on a Nuffield Undergraduate Bursary for a summer project. Congratulations to our project students Lynn, Arthur and Gordon who graduate with MChem(Hons) and BSc(Hons) respectively. Congratulations to last year's Nuffield undergraduate student, Amelie Heuer-Jungemann who graduates with an MChem(Hons) and the William H Perkin Prize in Organic Chemistry.
- May '11: Pauline presents her research at the 22nd SCI Regional Graduate Symposium on Novel Organic Chemistry. Congratulations to Lynn who won a prize for best presentation at the MChem Day.
- April '11: Ai-Lan presents at the Young Chemists 2011 (YC11), at Imperial College London. Our Annu. Rep. Prog. Chem. review for 2011 on Enantioselective Catalysis (covering enantioselective gold-catalysed reactions, palladium-catalysed Heck reactions and alkene metathesis) has been published online.
- March '11: We organise the SCI Young Chemists Panel Scottish Undergraduate Research Symposium at Heriot-Watt on 23rd March.
- Jan '11: Amelie's Nuffield summer project and Ross' MChem project work has been accepted for publication in Tetrahedron.
- Dec '10: Ai-Lan presents at the 39th RSC Scottish Regional Meeting of the Organic Division at University of Edinburgh.
- Nov '10: Max's paper on the synthesis of trienes is published online in Chem. Commun. Ai-Lan presents at University of Birmingham. Paul attends the SCI Review Meeting in London and nearly gets stranded there, while Ai-Lan's plane is stuck (under snow) in Edinburgh. The big freeze begins.
- Oct '10: We welcome Jamie Jordan-Hore (postdoc) to the group. Ai-Lan presents at the GSK Young Academic Symposium.
- Sept '10: We welcome Paul Young (PhD), Lynn Arrowsmith (MChem dissertation), Arthur Hawkins (BSc project) and Gordon Lister (BSc project). Ai-Lan chalks and talks at Gregynog.
- August '10: Ursula's work on gold(I)-1,2,3-triazolylidenes (in collaboration with J. Crowley) is published in Chem. Commun. Max presented his research at the ACS National Meeting in Boston.
- July '10: Max and Juergen's full paper has been published in Organic and Biomolecular Chemistry. Congratulations to our 2009-2010 project students Ross McLaren and Paul Young who both graduated with MChem (Hons) and Mark Lauchlan who graduated with a BSc (Hons). Well done! A glove box has been installed in the lab.
- June '10:Our Organic Letters paper has been highlighted in this month's issue of Synfacts. Our Annual Reports chapter on "Enantioselective Catalysis" has been published online, covering key advances in enantioselective gold-catalysed reactions and alkene metathesis in 2009.
- May '10: We welcome Amelie Heuer-Jungemann, who joins us for the summer on a Nuffield Undergraduate Bursary. Ai-Lan presents at University of York.
- April '10: Ai-Lan presents a talk at the Spring Symposium at Pfizer.
- March '10: Awarded a Leverhulme Trust grant to work on Pd-couplings and a Royal Society Research Grant to work on gold catalysis. We welcome Ursula Paul who joins the group as an exchange student from Würzburg. Paul Young wins one of the three prizes for his talk at the 1st SCI YCP Scottish Undergraduate Symposium. Max presents a talk on his work at the 21st SCI Graduate Symposia on Novel Organic Chemistry in Aberdeen.
- Feb '10: Ai-Lan presents at University College London.
- Jan '10: Max's work on Gold-Catalysed Hydroalkoxylation of Allenes has been published in Organic Letters.
- Dec '09: Ai-Lan presents at Queen Mary London and the 6th SICC, Singapore, James and Pauline present posters at the RSC Supramolecular and Macrocycles meeting in Cambridge, Max presents a poster at the RSC Scottish Regional Meeting in Dundee.
- Nov '09: Paul Young joins the group to carry out a short mini-MChem project. Meanwhile, Ai-Lan presents several school lectures entitled "Chirality in Chemistry" - will be presenting a few more next year.
- Oct '09: Ai-Lan presents at University of Leeds and Eli Lilly. Congratulations to James who wins "1st Year Postgraduate Prize" at the EPS poster competition.
- Sept '09: Ai-Lan presents at Gregynog Synthesis Workshop and Ross McLaren joins as an MChem dissertation student.
- August '09: Our Annual Reports chapter on "Enantioselective Catalysis" has been published online.
- July '09: Ai-Lan presents a poster at the RSC 21st International Symposium: Synthesis in Organic Chemistry, Oxford, sponsored by a Pfizer Bursary. Pauline and James are attending OMCOS 15 in Glasgow.
- May '09: Ai-Lan presents a talk at the RSC Lakeland Symposium on Heterocyclic Chemistry in Grasmere.
- May '09: Congratulations to our project students Michael Mathieson and Kristina Macleod who have both graduated with MChem (Hons). Kristina also shares the Schering Plough award for best Organic project. Congratulations to Ian Jarvie, Antti Rautio and Ashley Watson who graduate with BSc (Hons).
- April '09: Ai-Lan co-authors Chem. Soc. Rev. review on "Active metal template synthesis of rotaxanes, catenanes and molecular shuttles".
- Feb '09: Ai-Lan gave a research seminar at a half-day symposium at the University of Nottingham.
- Nov '08: Jürgen and Max's work on gold catalysed reactions with cyclopropenes has been published in Chem. Commun.
- Nov '08: Ai-Lan presented a research seminar at the University of Aberdeen.
- Sept '08: We welcome Pauline Glen and James O'Neill who join the group as PhD students. Michael Mathieson joins as a final year MChem project student.
- Sept '08: Ai-Lan "chalked and talked" at the Gregynog Synthesis Meeting.
- Jul '08: The group is awarded an EPSRC grant (EP/G006695/1).
All content © Ai-Lan Lee